How to Use a Spade Bit
How do you bore a big hole?Use a spade bit to make a hole larger than you can with a regular drill bit. Here’s how. Have a question? Get an answer now!
Things You’ll Need
- Identify a spade bit by its shape: it looks a little like a flat shovel with a point in the center of the end.
- Make a pilot hole first with a regular 1/8-inch bit at the center of where your hole will be.
- Line the point of the spade bit up with the pilot hole.
- Start the drill motor at a slow speed and hold it steady as the bit grabs the wood.
- Increase the drill speed steadily.
- Drill completely through the work piece and back the bit out smoothly with the drill still going.
Fill out my online form.